1. Adam (right), on his deathbed, sends his son Set from the archangel Michael to have “the oil of mercy”;
Michele (in the background) denies the oil, but gives him some seeds of the tree of Knowledge, to put in the mouth of Adam at the time of burial (left): from these seeds and from the body of Adam, due to the fall of man, a luxuriant tree (in the center) will be born whose wood will be used for the Cross of Christ, therefore for the resurrection of man.
2. Two centuries later, Solomon, king of Jerusalem, makes the tree cut, but the wood is not docile to any work and is thrown like a bridge over a pond. The Queen of Sheba, on a visit to the king, kneels (in the middle) in front of the wood, having had a premonition on the use that will be made of it. During the meeting with Solomon (on the right), the queen reveals her premonition.
3. By order of Solomon, the wood, which will be the cause of the ruin of the Jews, is removed and thrown “into the deepest interior of the earth”.
4. The Annunciation does not appear in the “Legenda Aurea”, but serves as a compositional reference (the column with the stake of the scene 5) and narrative: alludes, without showing it, to the life and death of Christ: wood, in fact, The excavation will be used to build the Cross which, after the Crucifixion, will disappear.
5. Constantine, on the eve of the battle against Maxentius, in 312, has in dream the revelation of his victory in the sign of the Cross.